Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Another Monday in Missoula brought me across the Clark Fork River - Daivd Alvarez, CM Western Wildlands


Skating over the Higgins bridgeway, marinating in the same tired playlist. A familiar feeling forced my head towards traffic. Across the partition my fearless leader from a year previous paced his bike alongside me: "Good to see you, man!" -- It was. As I walked my birth certificate to the regional office for re-enlistment, the season he and I shared with OUR crew flashed before me like bad home movies.

From the unforgiving Wallowa-Whitman to the neighborly Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, we found ourselves reminiscing...again. All the while I'm repeating in my head exactly what he and his Co-Leader tried to tell me last year: "The further you are from this experience, the more you'll miss it". I didn't know it would be so hard to spend 5 months working and living with good people and still maintain that "you-don't-know-me" city boy unpredictability. They, of course, were right
-- And I found my history repeating itself right in front of him.

I told him my near-future plans with pride; excited to share them with someone who had gone from boss to friend. As we parted downtown, I remained at peace: Much like the projects we had completed, the friendships we made will stand for years. When I came upon the office, I smiled to myself...prepared to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987