Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lending a Helping Had - Martha Knox, Western Wildlands

Over the course of my 2009-2010 winter working for the Montana Conservation Corps and Warm Hearts Warm Homes I lent a hand to many in need of a warmer home and the company of another person. Working with folks in their time of need has not only kept me feeling equally human, but has brought out the compassionate side of me more and more everyday. Bringing smiles and tears of joy to little old ladies as well as younger folk and their families has brightened my winter, bringing a sense of completeness.

All winter my week days have been filled with greetings from fury friends, young children’s laughter, and older women looking for help staying warm. Not only were they hospitable, offering us food, drinks and funny stories but they were also so thankful. They gave back to us any way they could, by offering us a hug, maybe a candle they hand made, or even plants to help brighten our homes. Some folks who didn’t have much even tried to offer donations in the form of the little money they had.

One client, from the beginning of our season, has stuck in my mind and filled me with joy everyday. She was an older woman who lived with her small and very sweet doggie. From the moment we walked into her home she was overjoyed, thanking us over and over. She was just so happy to have younger folks out helping those who need it, such as herself. As we worked she told us stories of how her daughter, who had been sick for a long time, was finally coming home for a visit. By the end of the appointment she gave us hugs and a can of home grown tomatoes she canned herself. With tears in her eyes she bid us farewell, and showed us to the door. Leaving her house that morning I felt an overwhelming sense of happiness, and a little misty in the eyes. I knew the work I was doing was important for all people who needed some extra help and it was important for me.

This winter has been a learning process of being human, letting go of judgments, and instead offering a warm smile and free supplies to help seal up a leaky home. Thanks to the MCC I have been able to reach out and help my community and the surrounding communities while learning new skills and meeting friendly faces. Thanks guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987