Thursday, July 2, 2009

OVH Trail - Charlsey Thornton GYCL


On Monday the meteorology crew from the Greater Yellowstone region ventured up telephone ridge in the Gallatin National Forest to begin work on a new OHV trail with the Bozeman Ranger District. The journey up was a long and bumpy one with astonishing views of the Gallatin Mountain Range. As I drove our white suburban, Casper, up the old logging road, I heard sounds of satisfaction and excitement coming from the members behind me. Unable to take my eyes off the rough road to enjoy our surroundings, I continued to feed off the positive energy coming from the crew. We finally made it to the ridgeline where the old road ended and the new OHV trail began. Immediately we jumped out and began searching for the perfect tent sites in our new paradise. As I walked around, I heard one of the Forest Service employees shout, “Hey! Continue walking up the ridgeline and you will find some great spots!” I did as he said and continued to hike up further and further away from the crew. Just when I thought I had wondered a little too far away from everyone, I stopped and took a good look around me for the first time. I realized that I had stumbled just far enough. To my right was a lush canyon surrounded by tree covered peaks and wildflowers, and to my left was the same, yet each canyon was unique to the creeks that carved it(Smith Creek and French Creek). I took the time to take a picture of my view to the right and I knew I wanted my new tent to be housed here for the next few days. My eyes immediately searched the land looking for any sign of a rock-free flat spot. As my eyes scanned the ridgeline it didn't look promising, but then something orange caught my eye. Could it be what I think it is? I hurried over to check it out and sure enough it was a small patch of Indian Paintbrush! Wow, I thought, I wish someone could be here to share this moment with me, my first Indian Paintbrush sighting of the year! I decided a picture would be the only attempt of capturing the moment, so I whipped out my camera, took the second picture of the hitch, and then my camera died. Distracted by my failing technology and unable to review my only chance at capturing the moment, I glanced away from the flowers and the canyons for a moment just in time to see the most incredibly perfect tent site of my life! The site literally sat no more than two feet away from my favorite flower. I began assembling my squeaky new tent and I felt welcomed to the neighborhood by my neighbors, the intriguingly beautiful Indian Paintbrush and the friendly peaks and ridgelines of the Gallatins. I was greeted by their liveliness and comforted by their warmth. I thought to myself, this moment is as close to perfect as perfect gets. And for once in my life I knew how the moment could be perfected, with the smiles of satisfaction from those I care about complimenting my smile of accomplishment. I knew that next time I would drag the crew up with me when I knew I was on to something like that. I look forward to experiencing moments like these with my crew for the next four months as we continue to get things done for America!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987