Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Experience in the MCC - Kelly Manos CDCM

In the summer of 2003, I had my first experience with the MCC as a Helena youth crew member in the Youth Engaged in Service program. The five weeks of service would forever change my life and view of my natural surroundings. I have since become a field crew member and and excited that I have the opportunity to work not only with MCC "freshmen," but youth crew members from around Montana as well.

Working with the youth crews as a field crew member is like looking in a mirror six years ago. I see the excitement, thrill and eagerness to learn that must have been in my eyes as a youth crew member. I love the feeling of being able to give back while encouraging youth to continue with what they learn here. I learned outdoor and life skills in the youth program. I now get to apply and improve upon those skills as a field crew member in the wilderness, with community involvement and life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987