Friday, September 4, 2009

What can I do?

This week's PLACE lesson really got me thinking. More than most this time, mostly about earth, environment, everything surrounding me, society, everything in general. The question I ask myself is "What can I do?" to save this place I so dearly love. I try to promote peace, tolerance, and save the environment by being non-confrontational for the most part, accepting others, and most things the "societal green revolution" promotes (ride shares, energy saving light bulbs, bricks in the toilet, not letting the faucet drip, turning lights off, eating organic vegetarian) but that's all shit compared to what I really want to do and also see happen, which brings me back to my question of what else can I do? I am constantly searching for answers and I have yet to find most of them, but I'm still quite young at the old age of 23. Do I start a revolution? Join Greenpeace? Earth First? Monkey-Wrenchers? All seems too radical to me, but maybe that's what needs to happen to conquer all this apathy I see happening. Sometimes I feel like maybe I care too much and everybody doesn't care enough, with words like, "you're such a hippie" and "hippies died in the 60s." I don't think it's a hippie thing. I think it's a human thing.

-Clayton Meyers, Wind Crew, Central Divide

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987