Friday, October 9, 2009

Crew #8 GY - Chris Ketchem






Hello interested readers! I'm Chris. I'm from crew #8 from the Bozeman, Greater Yellowstone region. The crew I was a part of worked doing maintenance this past summer on sites all over western Montana that the NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service) uses in the winter to measure snow fall. This sort of work included, clearing fallen trees and brush, and replacing signs that marked the sites.

We just wrapped up our work with the NRCS. Next week, we will begin weatherizing homes in the Butte area. We had some amazing hikes and saw some beautiful scenery on our previous hitches. We saw lots of wildlife and stayed in some gorgeous camping areas along the way. I'll also post just a few pics of our hitches with the NRCS so you can kinda get an idea of what we experienced.

Just last Tuesday, our crew along with others from Bozeman and around the state did some training for the weatherization we're about to start. While we were there, the Governor of Montana stopped by to speak to us and announce that our state was going to receive some stimulus money from the Obama administration to promote renewable energy and sustainable living in Montana. Obviously, the local news was there to capture the moment. As I missed the broadcast that evening, I did not see which MCC'ers made it on tv. So, I looked the story up on the new station's website. Turns out, they posted a pic of my team mates Pat, Reece, and myself on the site next to the story. You can view the story and see our picture at this a here.


Anyway - that's all I have for now. In the meantime, check out the page created for our crew on facebook! You can search it by keywords "MCC Crew #8!" or by following this link.

Talk to ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987