Thursday, October 8, 2009

Protruding through weather and water: Fish Lake

Sept17th:
clouds split in half across the sky

water laps at the shores

trees a brilliant evergreen as fall colors seep into the shrubbery

birds call and on their wings the wind is gentle but steady

one can hear it rushing through the leaves off at great distances

the sun sinks slowly rays still lighting the peaks

a splash in the water someone or something swimming ?

I lift my hat off my ears hoping to learn more… but nothing

stobs stand proud dotting the lake

protruding through weather and water worn boulders in geometric form

something is indeed across the lake

ducks looking for something to eat

the chill has bitten me through

and so I am to continue to listen from another place



Camp is a buzz with the sounds of zippers

On rain flies, tent doors, and sleeping bags

The rustling of tarps, mummy bags, and leaves

The sky fades off into beautiful hues and I realize my camera is in the bear hang

I listen close to the distance hoping to hear an elk bugle or wolf cry but only the turning of the page meets my ear




Sept19th:
The clouds roll in as the sunsets and a storm threatens to settle in

I batten down the hatches though I hate too it blocks my view

I find thoughts rolling through my mind just like the weather and I don’t know whether or not to give them the time

The season is changing coming to a close and so much of this is just beginning to grab hold

I’m not yet prepared to make the switch over to a life without an outdoors that screams come to me for I will pluck your soul strings


Kaci Worth
Christian Meny's Crew
Western Wildlands

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987