Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Scary Start Awesome Finish - Brian Dahme



When October started with our planned planting hitch at the Continental Divide being canceled due to snow (inconceivable!), my hopes, and I am sure that I was not alone, were not high. It was to be the last of our season’s worth of hitches and while it was just planting, we all started out hoping for the best. I think that soon, however, all we were really planting were seeds of discontent.

All of our planting took place in the most unlikely of areas, which included planting shrubs in a landslide area. Three-quarters of the 6400 shrubs were put in the ground over the next two days, but with our efforts came the cold, the same cold that produced record lows for the area.

The cold brought along random tasks such as chopping wood for eight hours at the ranger station (which several of us, including me, enjoyed because it was actual work and kept us warm) and moving a small pile of garbage to a larger pile of garbage. I think that the cold, rain, snow, and time of season all began to wear on us.

The next week, however, brought about a change for the better. We were now tasked with pulling tread at Lone Pine State Park. I think that we all enjoyed this for the most part, although the snow at night would make our jobs a little more difficult in telling where the trail would lead, but in the end, it did not matter. We were outside, in the woods, working, and staying warm – what else did we really need?

The final two weeks of October brought weatherization to the Northern Rockies. I, along with everyone else, was unsure of what to expect at first, but we all realized soon how much fun we were going to have.


We were all welcomed by the Housing Authority with open arms and given a dinner of stew and fry bread. I do not remember the last time that I have felt that full after a meal and that includes having to eat six tacos one night at Piper Creek. This time though, I did not regret my meal.

Staying in Polson on the Flathead Indian Reservation was tremendous. I honestly have to say that the entire two week period of weatherization was awesome and maybe some of the most fun that I have had all year. Getting to spend the end of your year in a resort with a pool, hot tub, and for some of us, cable TV are all pretty great ways to end your season.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987