Monday, August 31, 2009

Giving Back - Kelly Manos, CDCM

In the summer of 2003 I had my first experience with the Montana Conservation
Corps(MCC) as a Helena youth crew member in the Youth Engaged in Service (YES)
program. The 5 weeks of service would forever change my life and view of my natural
surroundings. I have since become a regular MCC crew member and have the
opportunity to work not only with crew members who have never had the MCC
experience but youth crew members from around Montana as well.
Working with the youth crews as a regular crew member is like looking in a
mirror 6 years ago. I see the excitement, thrill and eagerness to learn that must have been
in my eyes as a youth crew member. I love the feeling of being able to give back while
encouraging youth to stay with the MCC and AmeriCorps programs. I was taught outdoor
and life skills in the youth program. I now get to apply and improve those skills as a
regular crew member in the wilderness, with community involvement and life
expenences.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987