Thursday, August 20, 2009

An Introduction - Jessie Flowers, Green Team

I just moved to Montana a couple weeks ago from Washington DC. Montana is very different from back home in Washington DC...the climate, weather, scenery, even peoples attitudes toward life, but I have enjoyed every day so far.. Three weeks ago, I got a job through the HRDC working for the Montana Conservation Corps. It's quite different from any other job that I have done before. I’m outside most of the time building trails, making fences, making tree rings, even walking dogs! Today we completed tree ring projects in three parks. Bending over with a pick in the hot sun is worth it when you're making your environment a better place.

The MCC has a lot of different kinds of people, and with that comes a lot of different personalities. There are kids with situations similar to my own, kids that use this job as a requirement of their probation, some that are in college, and the list goes on. It's different interacting with people that come from a different place. Their accent, their attitude, the way they handle life, it's all different. I look at this as a way to broaden my horizons as a person, and to adsorb this experience as much as I can. To really understand that things are different everywhere you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987