Monday, August 3, 2009

Really Great Weekend - Jen Rusnak, State Office





When Doug and I decided to start up an MCC softball team earlier this year, I wasn't sure what to expect. It had been over a decade since I played in high school (yikes!) and I wasn't sure that my muscles would remember what they were supposed to do. But I'm a competitive gal and I love sports, so I was committed at the word go.

At first, we struggled to get a full roster together. We were contacted from alumni throughout the state, but either they couldn't commit to the schedule, or they couldn't commit to the six hour commute. And who could blame them, really? But before we knew it, we had a set roster of 20 and I was excited that so many people were excited about playing! Now we just needed a name. Tree Huggers? No, too soft. The MCC Menace? No, too mean. The Pulaskis? Yeah! The Pulaskis! (Actually, deciding on a name was quite a process, and we threw around more names than I care to remember).

In the beginning, we struggled. Come to think of it, we struggled all year. Sometimes it was a painful struggle. Like when we handed games over when we all but had them locked down. Ouch. And we did this more than once. But it's all about learning and working as a team, right? And even though we ended the season 6-6, I guarantee we had the most supportive and encouraging team in the league. High-fiving each other for our efforts. I swear at one point I heard someone sing Kumbaya...

When we entered the tournament, I told myself that I would be happy if we just won one game. After all, it was our first season. Our first game was against our rivals, The High Country Easy Riders, against who in the regular season we almost blew our 11-0, only to hold on to win 15-14. Well our tournament meeting would be no less exciting. It was a defensive battle the entire game that came down to them robbing us of what was sure to be a line drive double that would have scored two runs that would have put us in extra innings, but instead left us defeated 6-4. Guess we're in the Losers' Bracket, but hey, taking the most difficult route possible seemed like our MO all season, so why not?

What happened after the game, I just can't tell you about. You wouldn't understand. You shouldn't understand. Let's just say, some of us harnessed our inner Braveheart in preparation for Saturday's games.

Personally, I think it worked. Out of what should have been certain defeat, we poured our hearts and souls in to what would become three straight victories, two of which ended in extra innings, and against one team that was 10-1 in the regular season. It felt good to knock them out of the tournament. We each had personal victories that morning. Our pitcher was unshakable, unlikely batters stepped up to the plate, and 2nd stringers stepped up to fill big shoes.

But ultimately, it wasn't meant to be. When the fourth game of the day came around, we couldn't keep up our defenses against the blazing sun, and we nearly collapsed from exhaustion. But our opponents were pure class. Real sportsmen. When it became our turn to be spectators, I cheered them on openly and honestly.

As we cleared our well-worn gear from the dugout and headed our separate ways from an emotional, and bitter sweet season, we were in for the biggest shock of all. Would you believe the league Commissioner presented us with a trophy for 4th place?! It was a completely unexpected and exhilarating moment. We had no idea we'd done so well! 1st season and 4th place!

I left my heart on the field that day, I'm sure all of us did. In return, we walked away with new friends, and great memories, some even legendary!

Oh yeah, turns out my muscles did remember what they were supposed to do, well sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987