Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Oh, what a hitch!


This hitch seemed to last forever, yet I can't believe it's over. I laughed, I cried, I wanted to quit, ...but we pushed on and hiked 10 miles a day on top of trail work for 9 days straight! It's been a long time since I've pushed myself this hard physically, and mentally. It was exhausting, but absolutely worth it to see what we can accomplished as a crew. We dug well over 2,500 feet of trail and felt every bit of it. It was tough to get up in the morning with an achey body and know what work was ahead of you for the day. But we encourage each other all the time, whether it be with a hug, a silly joke, or a ridiculous song! "These lops are made for loppin', and that's just what they'll do..." My crew members have become my best friends! I will never forget this incredible experience.

"Thus situated, many hundred miles from our families in the howling wilderness, I believe few would have equally enjoyed the happiness we experienced. I often observed to my brother, you see how little nature requires to be satisfied? Felicity, the companion of content, is rather found in our breasts than in the enjoyment of external things." --Daniel Boone

Jen Haas

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987