Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Senses - Brady Wiegand, GY Expedition


I see a trailer and our rig. I see the outdoors the way they are suppose to be seen. I saw a woodchuck on the way to the bathroom a few moments ago. He just stared at me and as I stared back I felt…good

I can feel the roughness of the ground that I sit on. My Carhartts are warm and worn and feel almost like leather. My shirt is a part of me. I don’t even notice it touching my skin.

Flies buzz around my head as a bird squawks in the distance. The creek can be heard but I have been habitualized to its constant roar so I normally take no notice.

When I close my eyes my nose can smell the fresh clean air of the wilderness and if you try hard enough you can even pick-up your own stench.

My taste buds are consumed by the gram cracker that I just ate. If I try hard enough I can detect the faded trace of the chili-mac we had for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool mountain day or one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking companion. It is all a gift.
—CINDY ROSS, Journey on the Crest, 1987